When Mayor Michael Nutter signed legislation Thursday to afford equal rights to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, he said he hoped Philadelphia would become “the most LGBT-friendly” city in the world.
One piece of that comprehnsive legislation will forever alter the restroom options in city-owned buildings.
The legislation requires that new or renovated city-owned buildings include gender-neutral bathrooms in addition to traditional men’s and women’s restrooms.
There is more to the bill than just a neutral place to relieve oneself. Nutter, city and state lawmakers and gay rights advocates said the legislation makes Philadelphia the first city in the U.S. to offer tax credits to companies that extend the same health care coverage to LGBT employees’ domestic partners and their children as they provide to heterosexual spouses and their children.“It can be an awkward and embarrassing situation” for anyone who may “feel more like a woman, but can’t use the women’s room,” said Councilman Jim Kenney, the bill’s sponsor.
Officials said the legislation also makes Philadelphia the first city to offer businesses tax credits as a way to encourage providing transgender-specific health benefits.
“My goal is for Philadelphia to be one of, if not the most, LGBT-friendly cities in the world and a leader on equality issues,” said Nutter, adding that the signing struck a personal note because his friend, the late City Councilman John Anderson, was a gay man and a mentor who inspired him 30 years ago to pursue a life of public service.
In addition to the business tax incentives, which were backed by the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce as well as LGBT advocacy groups, and the gender-neutral restrooms, the legislation revises Philadelphia’s anti-discrimination law to include transgender people, extends decision-making rights to life partners on medical and other issues, and changes city forms and websites to offer options for same-sex couples and transgender people.
“Equal protection under the law means equal protection under the law,” said. “It doesn’t mean sanctioned by religion or custom or anything else.”
Kenney called the bill, which the City Council passed easily last month, “the next iteration of civil rights and freedom in the United States.”
“This is a city that is truly respecting all its citizens,” said state Rep. Brian Sims, a Philadelphia Democrat and the first openly gay candidate to be elected to the Legislature. “It is because of that respect that we are indeed a first-class city and we will continue to shine.”
Neither gay marriage nor civil unions are legal in Pennsylvania, and the state has a law that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
- yourskintangledupbeneathme reblogged this from ftmbinders
- papillon52 likes this
- elbo28 likes this
- sunshihi likes this
- tenderfacemeat reblogged this from loversintransition
- roselalorde reblogged this from brimstonegarden
- brimstonegarden reblogged this from transqueery
- transriley reblogged this from beyondthebinary
- darseunverde reblogged this from loversintransition
- theonewithseethroughvision likes this
- gboyandbgirl likes this
- moultingphoenix reblogged this from loversintransition
- moultingphoenix likes this
- butscratcherrrr reblogged this from beyondthebinary
- anji-v likes this
- transpanariffic reblogged this from beyondthebinary
- transpanariffic likes this
- noctowl89 reblogged this from beyondthebinary
- beyondthebinary reblogged this from loversintransition
- youngvulcans likes this
- theklr reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- taachibanas reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- lifesizedtales likes this
- priestessofmars likes this
- bebrilliantgo reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- windandwater likes this
- shakemefromthesedreams likes this
- bookcoversproject likes this
- bleedingmachine reblogged this from sirken
- sirken reblogged this from positive-press-daily
- panpolymommy reblogged this from rosesakurax
- reasonsweweresinging reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- painterofathousandskies reblogged this from loversintransition
- ghostdxl-itsme reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- tumifromjoburg reblogged this from transqueery and added:
- the-grey-panther likes this
- headheadhands likes this
- tinyattacksquid reblogged this from positive-press-daily
- alchemicalramblings likes this
- merinnan reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- 7jeanie11 reblogged this from sanityscraps
- impregnablevoid reblogged this from crystal-cat-loves-ac and added:
- kgmps2 likes this
- laura-in-libraryland likes this
- myotopia likes this
- gourdblossom reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- possiblymaslany reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- missfortune-make-it-rain reblogged this from hearthomicide